Monday, July 9, 2007

Once more into the breach

- King Henry V

Subtitled: Speaking of Battletech.



Sit through the bad acting and get over the sad sets long enough to notice the few seconds of this MechCommander intro at about 2:21 through 2:53. Some of us may also have to get over watching this intro again a decade later and not remembering that it kinda sucked. Anyway, notice the touch screen and the headset that he used to command his lance? I remember noticing them the first time I played because the game would have been much easier had I had those tools. I remember blaming the game for false advertising because the game kicked my butt the first time in and I had to blame something. Something that wasn't me.

Fast forward to now. Imagine if we only had a video game machine capable of using a head set and a touch screen/stylus. A machine like that and a RTT game like MechCommander would be a match made in gamer Heaven. It would be a chance for me to get justice after years of living with that loss. And by justice I mean vengeance. If only . . .

Wait my Clan brethren! We do have such a machine! The greatest game console/handheld ever. The Nintendo DS.

Now if we only had the game.

Enter our savior. That's right my fellow SE groupies, all our hopes and dreams, AKA: Square-Enix, has announced a Mech game for the DS:

FRONT MISSION
Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: Strategy RPG
ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated
Release Date: October 23, 2007
Discover the origins of the FRONT MISSION series in this explosive handheld saga that was never before localized for North America. Reborn exclusively on the Nintendo DS, FRONT MISSION introduces exciting new features, such as dual screen presentation and multiplayer modes, that update the classic that gave birth to seven beloved sequels. Using Touch Screen functionality, players command a squad of customizable mechs known as wanzers and direct them through turn-based skirmishes across the battlefields of the 21st century.

Yeah yeah, I read it too and I know it says turn-based but come on we are getting closer. Closer to my revenge. Although I feel a little like Hamlet at this point.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet. I played a bunch of Front Mission 4 last year and got totally wrapped up in the game. It's like
Advance Wars with androgyny and location-based damage.

avk said...

And location-based androgyny! And damage!

Unknown said...

Ahh! That Mech totally Bowied my power core!

avk said...

I have no idea why we haven't all downloaded megamek from sourceforge yet. Especially Tim.

I'm taking all comers (see also the Writely doc).

Ps. Google's spellcheck doesn't recognize "Writley." Either way I spell it.

andrew said...

ah man, battletech brings back memories, I used to do paper and pencil, then did some MUD/MUSE stuff way back in the early 90s.

Of couse, seeing that clip my first thought was 'that raven, hunchback, and whitworth?' are so so so outclassed by a madcat.

That guy commanding should have said 'Sorry dude, you are in the lightest mech, I lead you into a dead end so the other two can get out of there while you get sacrificed!'

Anyways, back in the old battletech MUSE i was with the Cappellan Confederation, and each faction got some big pile of points to spend on mechs and this big big list of all these tons of vairants and rules about how many combatvalue points you could get of each tech level and availablity per yadda yadda.

Turns out the Orion mech was dirt dirt cheap using their system so my unit had a ton of them (well, 8, plus 2 vindicators and 2 ravens for scouting) and then they had this list of free upgrades you could do to yadda yadda

Anyways, we tossed out the AC/10 and downgraded the missle launcher to a 10 rank and strapped a gauss rifle to that baby and we had cheap cheap cheap ass kicking capabilites

Blog Archive