Sunday, July 8, 2007

L.A. Diary #1

My first couple of days back in Los Angeles have been packed. I spent most of Friday with my friend Mike at work at G4. For lunch we met up with another friend, John, and had a delicious lunch at Luna Park. The Nicoise Salad, as suggested by Paul (one of Mike's X-Play cronies), was excellent. I <3 seared Tuna.

John passed me the preview of his new comic, Sublife, which will be published by Fantagraphics later this year. There's some surprising, but intriguing subject matter in the new book. As well as some interesting characterization of animals, not anthropomorphized so much as well-considered. I'm looking seeing how this new book plays out.


That evening we met some friends for dinner at Hooters then went back to Mike's place for one of his bad movie nights. A bunch of folks turned out, some to say, "hi" to me, others to experience the deep hurting of Step Up and Ghost Rider.

Today, we drove out to Venice and visited the QuikSilver Mission for an inspiring talk from Steve Larosiliere and his youth program Stoked Mentoring. We went to Secret Headquarters to catch the last days of John's gallery show.



Mike had a family dinner, so I went to my old neighborhood and grabbed a burrito and tamale at Yuca's. Afterwards I caught Transformers at The Vista, a beautiful old theater that you may remember as the joint where Clarence catches the Sonny Chiba marathon in True Romance. I was surprised at how much I dug the movie. Giant robots kicking ass really can overcome rapists and boring hacker subplots. Michael Bay's car commercial aesthetic was genuinely appropriate. My friend Mike said it best, "Transformers was the movie Michael Bay was born to make."



I tried to grab a haircut after the movie, but Rudy's was just closing. So Mike and Chris picked me up and we grabbed some Pinkberry at one of the zillion storefronts that have sprouted up around Los Angeles in the two years since I moved away. The place serves frozen yogurt with fresh toppings -- nothing new, really, but their presentation is perfect and the food very tasty. They've re-branded frogurt with an iPod-style presentation.




Flickr photoset of Mike's movie night.
Flickr photoset of 7/7/07

2 comments:

cardinal23 said...

Good times, Gus. Saturday I saw Knocked Up and Hot Fuzz. I liked them both, and I think I liked Hot Fuzz better than Shaun of the Dead.

Unknown said...

Everything is going according to plan! I had a suspicion you were going to dig Hot Fuzz. I still like Shaun better, mostly because it's so personal and well-realized in a formal sense, but I love them both almost as much as I love my limbs. Except my right leg. He's a jerk.

Blog Archive