Thursday, July 12, 2007

Los Angeles Diary #4 - Hands on With Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band

Since I'm ditching E3 a day early I made a point to get my grubby mitts on Rock Band and Guitar Hero III. I already dig Rock Band better and not because they threw such a fresh party. It just feels like they "get it" much better than Guitar Hero's new keepers. That said, Guitar Hero III was perfectly adequate. I played the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" and "My Name is Jonas" by Weezer. Both were reasonably fun to play.

Rock Band, on the other hand kicked my ass. I started out with the drums. We tried to play "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath, but the upbeat rhythm was a bit tough to grasp for a first-timer. The monitor was also on the ground and to the left of me. I'm not making excuses, really. Just saying. The second song, Nirvana's "In Bloom" was a little easier to handle. I nailed the two left drums pretty frequently, but was sloppy with the right side cymbals. I'm not exactly sure if I was landing the kick drum hits properly. I only scored in 60% range, but it was tons of fun. Playing this set is way harder than Taiko Drum Master, but it's also much more satisfying. Finally, I agreed to sing in front of a room full of game journalists, public relations folks and game developers. Most were busy with their own business, but that didn't stop be from getting the shakes. I picked "Dead or Alive" because I've howled the Bon Jovi song at least a dozen times at Karaoke. Afterwards they said I nailed it, but they had to be lying. I've got the death sentence in 12 systems for my tone-deaf crooning.

3 comments:

cardinal23 said...

I've read a lot about Rock Band in the last 48 hours and I think I'm sold on it. It sounds great. I'm not singing.

Hose Juan said...

Nor am I.

LUke said...

I'm nominate Tim as the Source Dorks lead singer... he's got that certain "je ne sais quoi"

Blog Archive