Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Los Angeles Diary #2

Just returned from the Microsoft press conference in Santa Monica. There were no earth-shattering announcements from this one, just a bunch of stuff we already knew and a couple tidbits that muster mostly indifference. The only really new thing we saw was footage from Resident Evil 5, which revealed the setting to be a African nation like Darfur, or maybe Haiti on a really dry day. So if the last game didn't feel mildly xenophobic to you this one ought to really drive that vibe home. I'm looking over my notebook for some other highlights:
  • A fan-band played a prog-rock rendition of the Halo theme with a Laurie Anderson-style violinist.
  • Viva Pinata has spawned a party-game spin-off that was NOT developed by Rare.
  • The pro-footballer who came onstage to demo Madden quipped
    "I know how you Microsoft dudes do, trying to cheat," as a bit of trash talk.
  • The only XBLA game I was really psyched to see in the line up was Space Giraffe
  • The live-action Halo 3 short only underlines how indebted the series is to Aliens.
  • Microsoft exec Jeff Bell said, "How about a big shout out for Golden Axe?"
  • They announced a Halo 3-themed version of the Xbox 360. Instead of displaying red rings the machine charges up a plasma pistol and blasts you in the face.
Before I dive fully into the E3 abyss I'll recap some of my for-fun excursions. I stopped by the Dublab offices to record a radio show. Later that day we hit the Moonlight Roller Rink in Glendale to celebrate Frosty's birthday. I skated up a storm only to eat it on the carpet as I was heading to grab my shoes. When I fell I racked my arm really hard on the ground and it's been aching something terrible for the past couple of days. I'm a real wimp, so it's probably just a strain. But, man, I hadn't realized how effectively I've avoided any real pain for the past several years.

Microsoft Presser Flickr set
Dublab Visit Flickr set
Frosty's Moonlight Rollerway Birthday Flickr set

6 comments:

avk said...

I've got a shout-out for Golden Axe.

Hoo!

w1ndst0rm said...

Kya fell down the steps this morning and hurt her heel and ankle . . . then went on a hiking trip in Red Wing you big sissy!

(Kya is an 11 year old girl.)

cardinal23 said...

My tooth was hurting so bad last night I was sweating, so I went into the dentist today and had to have a root canal. The four shots of novocaine didn't quite do it when he jammed the files into my gums to clean out the infected part of the root. So I guess I feel your pain.

Alexis said...

I think Gus is forgetting the time back in L.A. when I fell halfway down the stairs, landing on my hip...and ran a 10K race two days later.

Hose Juan said...

I understand the root canal pain. Most painful moment of my life. Kept asking for more novocaine until they finally said they couldn't give me anymore.

Running a 10K in itself would be painful for me. Never mind the bruised hip.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the sympathy? I'm happy to report that my arm is at 87%. I should be back to normal by Friday.

Blog Archive