Saturday, July 21, 2007

Both White Meats

A new Latin/Caribbean-flavored rotisserie joint called Brasa just opened on East Hennepin, about a block East of the Central intersection. The building looks like an old garage with a fresh coat of paint and outdoor seating. On nice days like today they've got the garage door open, creating an open-air vibe inside the restaurant.

The two main dishes are a succulent roast pork and a roasted chicken -- both were great. Alexis ordered the quarter-chicken and they gave her white meat by default, so if you ditch the crispy, mildly seasoned skin you're getting a fairly healthy meal. I ordered the large plate of pork, which closely resembled the dishes you'd get at better Cuban restaurants.

The side dishes, though, are the reason to sit down. The fried plantains were perfectly prepared and, though the fried yucca was a little mushy, I'm just pleased that someplace in NE is serving it. They also offer beans and rice, collard greens and chick peas -- pretty much everything but black beans and rice. I'm sorta glad they don't have frijoles negros, because I'd probably order them sight unseen, not trying the other dishes.

It was lunch-time, so I passed on the beer and wine. But I'm fairly confident I'll be drinking some of Brasa's Negro Modelo and Red Stripe. Mexican soft drinks are also available, so those craving the old-school sugar cane flavor can order the soda by the bottle.

8 comments:

avk said...

You didn't drink because it was lunchtime? And you had to go back to the office?

C'mon, Gus. It was 10:30 AM somewhere.

Hose Juan said...

Sign me up, sounds like a fine meal.

Unknown said...

Now you're making me feel like a wimp, Aaron. I did have three beers with sushi at Origami tonight.

avk said...

Don't let me make you feel like a wimp, Gus. I just like to wistfully reminice about the days before I had kids.

You know, when I was drunk whenever I wasn't working or at the gaming table.

Fortunately for me I'm even MORE fun when I've had a few, unlike everybody else in the whole world. Especially if you haven't been drinking. Just ask Dock and Hose. They'll back me up.

Right, guys?

...guys?

Hose Juan said...

Well, without the juice, your pants seem to stay on a lot more...

LUke said...

Sounds way good. I'm finally back in town, after 500 hours and 4000 miles (driven, not flown lamely like you passe frequent flyers). Look forward to trying this place soon. Though i can recommend some good pizza in Milwaukee now.

LUke

~Man, and with him on the juice, he's so much less imposing with the pants off.

avk said...

I can provide testimonials to the contrary.

Unknown said...

Welcome back, Luke. Let's have a beer soon.

Blog Archive