Saturday, June 9, 2007

This kind of thing used to really tick me off


I can still remember, ten years ago, being really angry at Puff Daddy for the way "I'll Be Missing You" was pretty much a Police song with new rap lyrics on top. When I was younger I had a chip on my shoulder about music. It all had to be experimental and edgy. The more obscure the better. I think I'm easing up in my old age.

Granted, Kanye puts a little more into this song that Puff Daddy used to. He flips the original Daft Punk track "Harder, Faster, Better, Stronger" a little, especially towards the end you can pick out where he isolates and repeats certain words -- like he's doing his own remix of the song. He's also added some signature flourishes -- a little extra thump and some dramatic keys to make the song fit in on pop radio playlists.

At this point I've got at least 19-different mixes of the orignal Daft Punk tune in my iTunes library, so maybe I'm just a little more comfortable with people re-interpreting the songs I love. Anyway, I'm going to pat myself on the back a little. Learning to relax and love Kanye makes it so that there's one less thing in the world that gets my dander up.

6 comments:

w1ndst0rm said...

Sorry man, I could only make it 1:10 in to that. Sex and vulgarity filled rap is just sub par. I think Kanye knows this so he shores up us sub par choice of lyrics with a good and successful song.

I see what he is doing here and I am not falling for it.

Unknown said...

I honestly don't think his songs are that vulgar. He's pretty toned down as far as rappers go. Kanye's no sage, but I think he's got interesting things to say especially within the context of pop music. They guy has a single that is a critique of breast implants and another about blood diamonds and he pulls these messages off in songs that still bump.

cardinal23 said...

I'm a fan of sex and vulgarity, it's the misogyny that I don't like, and I don't think I find any of that in this song. I like it better than the song he plays off of.

Unknown said...

Contemporary hip hop certainly has misogyny problems. There are few musical genres who don't express those ideas in one way or another. Like anything, I'd say its a reflection of culture, rather than a contributing force.

andrew said...

Bob Dylan cover, tomorrow is a long time, better than the original imho, by nickel creek

http://www.americanroutes.org/programs/200704.html

April 11 - April 17, 2007 (click for playlist)
Banjos Lost and Found: Don Vappie & Nickel Creek

swing down to the bottom of the playlist and select segment: nickel creek and zoom ahead to time 9:00

you more music savy people may well be able to find this same group playing the same song at some other recording studio.

Unknown said...

Is it the cover of "Tomorrow is a Long Time" from their LP Why Should The Fire Die?

Blog Archive