Friday, June 29, 2007

Ratatouille: Why Sturm5.0 probably won't see it.


Masterpiece or not. Best rendering of this story archetype or not. Unless Grandma wants to take the kids we probably won't see this film. The throw away reason is that they want to see Transformers instead anyway. The real reason is familial and societal. Stories about the underdog overcoming all obstacles to a brilliant end are an American staple. A staple that us Sturms can't relate to. Two possible reasons. The first is that we have never been underdogs and can't empathize with the main characters. Watching a 'woe is me' character is hard. Unless it is Hamlet because *spoilers* he dies *end spoilers*. The other reason could be becasue we are a pretty content stock of folk. You are what you are and you is what you is. And it is good.

Give me the escapism of big robots anyday.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Give me the escapism of big robots anyday."

amen

Optimus Prime is awesome.


I was also a huge He-man fan.

Unknown said...

Your loss. The movie is really great, and not so much about being an underdog, but about being honest and being true to yourself. To deprive your kids of a Brad Bird movie is criminal. The guy is the best living American animator and this picture, while modest, pays homage to everything from vintage Merry Melodies, old supernatural farces like Topper or even Bewitched and there's even a bit of Ernst Lubitch in there. Escapism is fine, but why not let people escape into someplace other than the smoldering craters of a Michael Bay movie?

cardinal23 said...

For a guy who only loves escapism, that's a lot of thinking about why your family should not go see a movie about a rat who likes people food.

avk said...

*We* Sturms, Tim. We Sturms.

w1ndst0rm said...

Dock, rats do like human food IRL.

AVK, I thought the royal 'we' was always assumed.

It doesn't matter anyway b/c I think Karri is taking the kids when I am at work sometime.

Hose Juan said...

Well, I can't identify with being, or fighting against, giant shapeshifting robots so I guess I shouldn't want to see Transformers... or maybe there's room for both. Bird's movies are always well written, produced, and animated. Quality all around. I'm going to go in expecting, and I'm sure getting, all of these things. With Transformers I'm going to watch it only expecting to see giant robots kicking ass. Always room for both. Just depends on what mood I'm in.

cardinal23 said...

Tim, I guess your dislike of underdog movies explains why you hate Lord of the Rings and Star Wars so much. I've always wondered that.

w1ndst0rm said...

WHAT?!

I thought those movies were about nuclear weapons.

avk said...

You should have saved this critique for this upcoming gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRJrxViaRLI

Why, Jason? Why?

Anonymous said...

rat's are inherently evil as their position under "the fall" was "carrier of disease"...I must reject this movie on principle.

now...Mighty Mouse...thats another story!

Blog Archive