Monday, May 28, 2007

Star Wars Memories

Despite all the anti-Star Wars venom you hear spewing from my mouth, I actually have fond memories of the original movies. I broke down and bought the DVDs that include the theatrical versions and rewatched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back this weekend. It only took five minutes before I forgot about all my built-up Lucas bile and fell into the groove. For years these flicks were my comfort food and despite everything that has passed they still have the power to make me feel like a kid again.

In honor of the anniversary let's reminisce about the first movie:

I was four and a half when I first saw Star Wars. Our family saw the movie at a drive-in theater in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. My sister and I were in our pajamas in the back seat of the family station wagon. The folks were in the front. I probably didn't stay awake past the first hour. My most vivid memory of that night is having to go to take a leak. My dad walked me to the bathrooms, which were brightly-lit and white. I remember that there were speakers in there so I could still hear the movie. I was kinda scared, because all the monsters, robots and bad guys you see at the beginning of the movie sorta filled my mind with a sense of background dread.

Anybody else have memories of your first Star Wars experience?

Post 'em in the comments.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nobody? It doesn't matter if you can't remember 1977. Tell me about the first time you saw Star Wars!

cardinal23 said...

I saw Star Wars at the drive through in the late summer of 77. Can't say that I remember much of that, but I was really excited when Empire came out, so I must have liked it.

I guess I would have been about the same age my son is now. Hmm...

Unknown said...

Was that a drive-in here in Minnesota? Is it still around?

cardinal23 said...

Right. Drive-in, not drive-through.

No, it's not still around, and it was in Rochester. As of a few years ago there were still a couple drive-ins in the metro area.

Unknown said...

I like the idea of a drive thru movie. Fits nicely with the current bite-sized culture trend.

When I was still in Florida there was a podunk town on the outskirts of Orlando that still had a drive in. The local mayor came out every Friday to try to round up support for saving the place, but nobody but the film nerds really cared.

Most big-town drive-ins have been ruined by light pollution. I've been to several where the screen was nearly impossible to see.

Blog Archive