Saturday, May 5, 2007

Cat Macros aka Lolcats


At this point the "cat macro" meme has been nearly fully digested by contemporary culture. Now to see how it evolves. I'm betting that the "lolcat" name eventually overshadows the less direct reference to image macros. Already, I'm noticing cat backlash. My friend Mike recently expressed unrestrained hatred for the 3.2 million people who watched Nora the cat play piano.

I'm just wondering how long it's going to take before we hear a "I'm in your blank, blanking ur blank," joke in one of the Scary Movie sequels. At that point, even I will have trouble maintaining enthusiasm for the fad.

Still, I give props to the administrators of the website I Can Has Cheezburger for taking on the daunting task of transforming the unorganized chaos of this into a tagged, and in some cases attributed format. I'd love to see further study of the movement one that somehow tracks the evolution of jokes, continuance of running gags or iteration of particular images like, my personal favorite, longcat.

3 comments:

w1ndst0rm said...

OH NOES!!!11

http://www.dropline.net/cats/images/safewurd.jpg

w1ndst0rm said...

I love being a nerd:

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/02/07/the-spice-must-flow/

Unknown said...

The bondage one is great.

Blog Archive