Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Grindhouse/Dangerdoom Music Mystery Solved

...and all it took was a pen and a notebook.

You may remember this post, in which I noted that the music in the "Feature Presentation" and "Coming Attraction" reels of Grindhouse featured the same sample that Dangerdoom used in their song "Old School Rules."

I wasn't about to wait to see the movie on video. What kind of QT fan would I be if I only saw his movies once in the theater? Especially considering that I re-watched Kill Bill on the plane last week and noticed the same tune at the beginning of that movie too.

So I saw the movie again this evening and hung around until the credits. I jotted down the first song listed for the Death Proof soundtrack and it turned out to be the one I was looking for, "Funky Fanfare" by Keith Mansfield.

Keith MansfieldFunky Fanfare

Apparently Mansfield is considered the godfather of library music. Hence the reason his tunes would pop up in unsexy slots between ads for concession stand candy and trashy movies. His Wikipedia entry was one hair away from being useful, the paragraph mentions that he was sampled by Dangerdoom and Madlib, but makes no notes of the specific songs. Now the truth can be told.

10 comments:

w1ndst0rm said...

I can't believe I missed it. That was so obvious.

Anonymous said...

This song also appears in Kill Bill

Anonymous said...

You are both incorrect. This song is played with an organ/piano. The song in the film and on the dangerdoom track old school has horns and is slower. Please do the research and find out the real song ttle and artist.

Unknown said...

It's the same song. The sample I provided may be a different version of the song, but it's the same one. Either that or they're crediting the wrong song at the end of the movie.

kevwheel said...

First off: Thank You! I've been trying to figure out the origin of the song on Kill Bill/Grindhouse for a while now, and had no luck.

Second: where the heck can I find this song for purchase? I'll take whatever version, I'm not feeling picky.

Anonymous said...

The song is Tony Newman - Soul Thing. This is a different version of Funky Fanfare by Keith Mansfield.

Sofa King said...

I'm not so sure it's Soul Think. The Grindhouse version has an obvious funk piano and a flute that Soul Thing doesn't have.

Anonymous said...

i have 2 version of funky fanfare from mansfield...one with horns and the other without..from 2 different kpm sound library albums, tarantino used the one with horns..great song! had the record before kill bill and grindhouse..its not soul thing..ts keith mansfield 100%

Anonymous said...

Thank You!!!!!!!! When I Started watching both the grindhouse movies death proof and planet terror I thought, damn i hear danger doom, but it only was the sample you hear in the background. To find out what it was I listened both of the soundtracks, but it wasn't on either one of them. This solved the mystery. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

mansfield parker moorhouse - funky fanfare

Blog Archive