Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Maakies


The Maakies is a weekly comic strip by Tony Millionaire and now a pilot on Adult Swim. I'm not entirely happy with the first episode. I think it tries a little too hard to be outrageous, treating the strips unrelenting pessimism with a little less nuance than it deserves. Still, if it's going to put food on the table for an artist I admire then I'll get on board. Millionaire is an imaginative, unique and technically talented strip cartoonist. His detailed, nautically-themed panels are easily the most lovely to hit newsprint since Watterson was still working. Look at his Sock Monkey comics and storybooks to see how great his work looks when it have room to breathe.

The Maakies pilot @ Adult Swim

1 comment:

avk said...

What did I tell you about that kissin'?

Blog Archive