Since both the New Moon and Super Tuesday have recently passed, I feel the time is ripe to cast my personal augury for the 2008 presidential election.
Do I eviscerate a chicken? Read tea leaves? Draw up astrological charts?
None of the above. I name my Nethack characters after the candidates. A difference in score of more than one order of magnitude portends a sure victory, where a narrower margin demands further scrutiny - comparisons of maximum level reached, number of artifacts collected, pet survival, and so on.
Unfortunately, I haven't kept track of the Nethack augury's accuracy over the years, but I have found it useful. Sometimes, when there doesn't seem to be any clear choice, I tell myself that I must vote for the winner of the Nethack augury. Then, when I consider the results, I am forced to have a really honest deliberation with myself about just how reprehensible I find that particular candidate.
Stay tuned for results.
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (162)
- ► 2009 (161)
- Half-Life 2: Full Life Consequences Part 2
- I really should Flikr
- Boris - "Statement"
- TEDTalks: Dan Dennet on Religion
- New Dublab Stream
- Boyz II Men on Don't Forget the Lyrics?
- New Meme?
- Too Late to Overnight
- MP5 or MP3?
- In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
- I Didn't Realize Obama Songs Were a Thing
- Pineapple Express
- Everything "New" is really old returning again
- Spongebob Voice Actors Do Classic Film
- Prognostication 'Neath the Waxing Crescent
- Robots Rock The Grammys
- Siege Weapons Are The New Hotness
- Nice Hat
- Urban Dead Survey: Who, What and Where are We?
- Half-Life 2: Full Life Consequences
- Cool Kids Like Obama
- "Top Drawer" -- Man Man
- Can't stop laughing over this
- Just in Case You Aren't Getting Your Recommended D...
- DJ Shadow, Cut Chemist and Kid Koala in Minneapoli...
- I <3 Superbowl Sunday Counter-Programming
- The War on Fornication
- ▼ February (27)