Friday, August 20, 2010

Happy Birthday, Don Schlitz!

Well, it is almost his birthday; it is coming up on August, 29th. Also, what a name! Schlitz - Jr. even.

"Wait wait wait," you're probably saying, "Don who? Don why?"

Hey, thanks for asking. Don Schlitz is the writer of one of the best songs to ever come out of the good ol' United States of America. Hmm, but it's not actually just a song. It is a lyrical masterpiece; probably the best metaphor offered since, well, since Jesus put some out there. And much like those parables a ton of people don't get 'The Gambler' either. Of they take it and run some terrible place with it. But anyway ...

Check out this part of the song's wiki, "Rogers' rendition on the Muppet Show (see below) indicates the Gambler actually dies." Really? You think? I've been around the block a few times now so I should know better but somewhere at sometime people weren't sure the gambler died? What the shit? Come on, people! They probably shouldn't have been watching The Muppet Show either because that was an awfully smart show. - Now I have to convince myself that I don't want to know what terrible things stupid people did with that American gem as well. Damn it ...

Maybe I will feel better if we take a look at the imagery of the intro and pretend the stupid people never happened: "on a train bound for nowhere" and "out the window at the darkness" What a way and place to start a story. These guys aren't just on a train they are already nowhere and lost and alone in this thing called life. ("Hang on a second. Aren't they playing Poker at a bar or something?") Ahhhhhh ...

It's not working. Excuse me while I go lock myself in my car and listen to Mike Doughty's cover.

Again.

No comments:

Blog Archive