Thursday, December 9, 2010
PAC MAN CE Deus eX?
(pictured is my favorite new maze)
How does one make a classic like Pac Man better? If it is 1981 you play copycat and make him a her and make the pink ghost run away even without the aid of a power pellet*. If it is 2007 you update the look and the sound and the speed and you cut the board in half*. (note that I did not include Jr., the cartoon or the 3D)
2007 was a great year for gamers. I remember wondering where the gaming industry could take us after such a year. 2010 continues to show us where with Pac Man CE DX.
So how do you make a 30 year old game that you made better three years ago better better? It turns out that the answer is quite simple: You add bombs*.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Wait. What? Did you say bombs?"
"But, but Pac Man has a stick and a 1P and a 2P button. How do you use these bombs and where do they come from anyway?"
"I don't know where they come from but now there is a bomb button too, for the bombs."
"Bombs and buttons from nowhere? This is sacrilege!"
"No, this is sacrelicious."
The Wiki would have you believe that such a device, plot or otherwise, used to get our hero out of a tight spot is a sub-par choice in story telling. That might be true but in terms of game and play the bomb addition is an optimal experience*.
*among other things
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (105)
- did you get everything you want for christmas?
- winter solstice lunar eclipse
- Your Highness
- Your Highness.
- Black Death
- Unique Forms of Continuity in Space
- sumthin' 'bout thumbs - This Guy
- autocomplete atlas of the united states
- psst...buddy can you spare $300 for a light sabre?...
- Minecraft Soundtracked By Deadmau5
- Metal Map
- *now* maybe you'll go buy a Kinect
- New Adventures in Puppetry
- For Wolf
- The Triumph of Intellect and Romance over Brute Fo...
- it's all lego geek to me
- PAC MAN CE Deus eX?
- ducks in the wind
- Andy Movies
- ▼ December (19)
- ► 2009 (161)
- ► 2008 (285)