Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Connections

What does men's figure skating and one of my favorite video games of all time have in common?

Apparently, this guy.

So, I've got the Olympics on in the background while I'm doing protein database searches for my biochemistry assignment, and I hear the NBC announcer (I wasn't paying close enough attention to know what announcer) read this information:

Nobunari Oda missed Torino in a controversial decision at the 2006 Japanese Nationals. He is the 17th descendant of Nobunaga Oda (1534-1582), the famous Japanese warlord during the age of the civil war and inspiration for the Super Nintendo video game series, Nobunaga's Ambition.


Then my head exploded from the obscure historical reference being contextualized by referring to a similarly obscure cultural referent.

No comments:

Blog Archive