Thursday, December 6, 2007

Songs That Need to Be In Rock Band: Part 1 - The '00s

I've used this space to bag on the lame, new songs that made the cut in Rock Band. So now I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Here's a list of awesome songs, recorded in the last decade, that would make ideal downloadable tracks. Sure, most people haven't heard of half of these bands. But, you know what? It's about time they did.

Call the Lawyers:

1. Art Brut - "Formed a Band" - Duh, right?
2. Spoon - "I Turn My Camera On" - I wish so many of their songs weren't all sparse and piano-y
3. The Black Lips - "Veni Vidi Vici" - I find this song imminently singable
4. LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends" - There's a single edit that's a little shorter. It was a toss up between this and "New York I Love You"
5. Liars - "Mr. Your On Fire Mr." - Easily their catchiest song. They've been running from it for the past five years
6. Death From Above 1979 - "Blood on Our Hands" - I know, these guys are a trio. Sue me
7. TV on the Radio - "Young Liars" - Rock Band could use some nice, down-tempo tracks
8. My Morning Jacket - "Off the Record" - I always think Joe Jackson when I hear this
9. Wolf Parade - "I'll Believe in Anything"- I like the idea of everybody pitching in to sing this one
10. The Decemberists - "Sons & Daughters" - Jeez. I'm thinking that song about Los Angeles would be pretty hot too.
11. Raconteurs - "Steady as She Goes" - If they wanted they could get those versions of the White Stripes songs with bass parts added in by the guy from Redd Kross
12. Entrance - "Grim Reaper Blues" - Rock Band needs more psyche
13. The Sword - "Winter's Wolves" - I always hoped that Guitar Hero II would help blow this band up
14. Tool - "Schism" - For the prog metal geeks
15. The Mars Volta - "The Widow"- To make the Pitchfork guys scream. I really, dig this as a single
16. The Thermals - "Here's Your Future" - For guys who like Fugazi, Bad Religion, etc.
17. The Hold Steady - "Chips Ahoy"- I was tempted to pick something from the older record
18. Arcade Fire - "Wake Up" - What a racket you could make with this one
19. The Rapture - "House of Jealous Lovers" - Dance punk is perfect for Rock Band
20. Wilderness - "End of Freedom" - A little moodier than your typical track
21. The Ponys - "Exile on My Street" - A straight rocker. The vocals reminds me of Faith No More's first singer
22. Klaxons - "Magick" - I could do with their whole album as a download
23. Early Man - "Death is the Answer" - For the guys who can channel Ozzy
24. !!! - "Heart of Hearts" - Another dance punk jam
25. McLusky - "To Hell With Good Intentions" - Only a sample on imeem, but damn does this song rock. Albini.

Here's an imeem playlist with all of the songs:
EDIT: Launch the playlist as standalone to hear the full tracks.



Next time: Songs That Need to Be In Rock Band: Part II - Something For The Ladies

1 comment:

w1ndst0rm said...

You forgot Genki Rockets.

Blog Archive