Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Karma?

The wheel turns and today many a Shadowrun fan can enjoy some kind of retribution. FASA Studios has shut it's doors. I was going to eulogize the company -- since FASA got its start as an RPG company way back in 1980 -- and take the opportunity to wag my finger at folks who stray to far from their core competency. But it turns out that the real FASA, the pencil-and-paper, hex grid, Freedonian Aeronautics and Space Administration went belly up back in 2001. The FASA that made Shadowrun into a shooter was bought and operated by Microsoft -- a pitiful shadow of its former self kinda like Atari.

I'll be the first to admit that I frequently came down in defense of pseudo-FASA's bonehead moves. I figured that since only 18 people really knew or cared about Shadowrun any more that they it was smart to be conservative and try to use an accessible genre to re-introduce Shadowrun to a new audience. I was wrong about that. Turns out less than 18 people care about Shadowrun the crappy shooter.

1 comment:

avk said...

Why do you love to torture me?

Blog Archive