Monday, September 17, 2007

The End of The Wire


I'm not sure how many of you are HBO subscribers, but if you are there's still time to get up to speed with the best show on television. Read the Washington Post's coverage of the series' final shooting day for a decent picture of what the show is about. Seriously, if you like quality television you absolutely need to watch this show. Not convinced? Listen to the critics. Says Jason Weisberg, "No other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature." I tend to agree.

Season five is scheduled to premier January 6, 2008.
The season four DVD comes out just in the nick of time on December 4th.

4 comments:

cardinal23 said...

This is in the queue, but it might be a little while.

Qhorin said...

Considering getting HD HBO with the new theatre setup. So many good original programs seem to be coming out on HBO the past 10 years.

andrew said...

I have been thinking of checking this one out too, either from netflix or as a loader (hint hint do you have it in your collection gus? and if you don't and it is so great, why not?)

Unknown said...

Directv just announced that tons most of their channels will go HD in the next month or so. Be sure to confirm that you have the right tuner -- apparently some don't fully take advantage of the resolution.

Andy, I wish I still bought DVDs. I sold a collection of at least 500 movies and TV shows before moving here -- deciding to divest myself completely of collecting discs and whatnot. Now I only buy movies are DVDs I intend to evangelize or stuff from the UK or Asia that hasn't been released here.

Still, I've been considering investing in the sets for just the reason you mention. HBO are kinda dicks about pricing through. Their collections are exorbitantly priced.

Blog Archive