Monday, November 29, 2010

I Lost a Little Bit of My Soul Tonight


In what Bizarro World do I live that I thought that this might be a reasonable use of 90 minutes? I know, I know -- I'm the master of my own life, but goddammit, Gus, why did you ever put the kernel of this into my brain? I now have to live with these (NSFW) images in my head for the rest of my life.

So I watched it. I wish I hadn't. Without the main gimmick, it's a really boring serial killer flick that hits every major cliche in the genre.

It's not as explicit in terms of on-screen violence as an Antichrist or Hostel, but I still walked away with a unsettled feeling in the pit of my stomach that has not been there for any other film in my recent memory.

To its credit, this film and everyone involved takes takes itself entirely seriously. There is not a hint of a wink. And don't get me wrong, I like a movie that pulls no punches, but this thing is relentless. It was a dank oubliette from which I thought I might emerge, clawing for some glimmer of light, only to have its final bricks mortared in place over my head at the last moment.

So to sum up:
  • Trite
  • Disturbing
  • Will cause loss of all hope for humanity
Watch at your own peril.

4 comments:

w1ndst0rm said...

Post of the Year, Mr. Wolf.

Pretty cool movie poster too.


Sumthin' sumthin', lusts of the flesh, told you so.

Unknown said...

Glad I could help.

rob said...

i just saw it listed the other night and almost watched it. but watched something else instead.

now, after reading your post, it exists as a car wreck in my mind and i am trying not to slow down to take a look.

Wolf said...

Be strong.

Blog Archive