Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Promises Kept


When I was a teenager two of my favorite entertainers vowed similar oaths. George Lucas said he'd never use special effects except to forward the story he was trying to tell. Metallica said they'd never make a music video unless there was a very special idea behind it. I can't say that Lucas ever followed his own rule. But for a second Metallica only made videos like "One" and "Unforgiven." Then when the black record came out they made not-so-special clips like "Enter Sandman" and a whole slew of performance clips followed. 

The video you see above is what I see as Metallica returning to form. Their new  record may not be the second coming of "Master of Puppets" but I'll be damned if this isn't the coolest fucking music video I've seen in years.

No comments:

Blog Archive